Sunday, April 27, 2014

It's Better To Face Your Demons If You're Ambidextrous



Normally I’m a stickler about typos, and do my best to make sure than my blog doesn't have any (which I never find until I hit "Publish" and they stand up and wave at me like those gray hairs on my head).  But today you’re all going to have to cut me some slack.  I’m doing my best here, but it’s a little tricky, given that my right hand looks like this:


And to answer your next question: yes, I am right handed.  Very, very right handed. Just taking that picture was a pain in the ass.

Let me explain how my weekend unfolded. Saturday morning I did a 10 mile long run in preparation for the Brooklyn Half Marathon, the next one on my schedule 3 weeks from now (with a 10K race squeezed in there the week before it). My run was fine, nothing to write home (or blog) about.  Except – that I came home with my knickers completely in a twist.  Because during my non-blogworthy run, I realized that I was completely unprepared for triathlon season.

My first triathlon of the season is on June 1st.  It’s an Olympic distance one, which makes it a 1 mile swim, a 26 mile bike ride and a 6.2 mile run.  And actually, I should say that it’s my only triathlon of the season.  Due to some circumstances that I am not discussing here, I have not been able to register for any other triathlons so far this year.  The situation will hopefully correct itself soon, but until then I only have that one.  And truth be told, I didn’t think I was going to do it.  It’s an extremely difficult bike course, and an awful way to kick off race season.  I’m only registered because I deferred last year when I broke my foot.  But as the winter extended into spring this year, I didn’t stress out about not being able to bike outside, because in the back of my mind I kind of knew that I wasn’t going to do that race.

I also didn’t worry about not biking outside because I was perfectly happy not to.  It’s not that I don’t like biking.  It’s that I am a very nervous biker.  I’m not a horrible biker, even when you throw in the fact that I am probably the worst triathlete on this planet.  I actually do quite well on hills and will admit that I gain a little sick pleasure when I climb past my fellow competitors who are barely moving and seem just about to go into cardiac arrest.  My problem is that I spend the entire ride picturing my early death as I crash into a car or phone pole or something and go flying ass over handlebars.  In triathlons, I always look at the run as a gift to myself for not dying in the swim or bike portions.

It’s hard to motivate yourself to do something when you: a) have no real reason to do it, and b) every time you even think about it you need to change your pants.  But I knew I had to start riding outside.  My circumstances will hopefully change and I’ll be able to sign up for races again, and I really need to ready.  Besides, every time that I’ve gone up against my demons, I’ve beaten the crap out of them.

So, this morning I set out on my first real outdoor ride in almost 2 years (a couple of weeks ago I rode for about 15 minutes just to make sure that I could get in and out of my new clipless pedals, but riding around a playground with your 6 year old son doesn’t really count as a training ride). I set everything up to ease my mind: I talked my husband Wil into coming with me, I mapped out a route on a traffic free bike path, and I even talked Wil into driving us to the head of the path so that I wouldn’t crash into a car or telephone pole on the way over to it.

Ok, you saw the picture at the top, so I can just skip to the end here.  I had to stop quickly so I unclipped my left foot.  But I’m right handed.  Very, very right handed.  At the last second I had to swerve, pulled to my dominant right side and lost my balance. 

Now, it may not be too bad.  Per the x-rays, I “possibly” broke my wrist (for all my geeky brilliant science friends, the “scaphoid” bone is the one in question), but the x-rays weren’t conclusive (there’s a line across the bone which the doc said should be a fracture, but it’s not hurting in the right spot so she’s confused). So, I have to wear that splint for a week and they’ll recheck it then.  So, the good news is that it might just be a sprain.  The bad news is that if it’s not, per that same doc the “scaphoid” bone is a bitch to heal.

I’ll give an update next week when I know more, but for now I’ll leave you with some lessons learned:
  •  All those people who tell you not to put your hand out to catch yourself when you fall are absolutely right, 
  •  A big husband and traffic free ride can’t guarantee you’ll stay on your bike, 
  •  Crashing into a car or telephone pole and flying ass over handle bars is not the only way you can take a spill, 
  •  Being ambidextrous is a good skill to have, 
  •  It’s always good to face your demons, but they might end up beating the crap out of you,
  • Sometimes you just have to live with a few typos.

No comments:

Post a Comment